Friday, September 17, 2010

Never A Dull Moment

As most of you know David and I flew out to Idaho to see Mark before he leaves for Camp Shelby and then onto Iraq. It was so great to see him, spend time together, have David and him see each-other, and have Mark enjoying Davids little milestones. However, the getting to and from was not so much fun! I'm warning you now, this is probably going to turn into me venting a little, but after you read, you will understand. Promise.
Ok, going back to last Friday, we get on the plane in St. Louis headed towards Salt Lake. THe lady at the gate was actually really nice. She left the seat open next to me so I could put Davids carseat there. Anyways, if I remember correctly, weather slowed us down and we left about 30ish minutes late. Keep in mind I only had a 45 minute layover in SLC and I had to change my seat because for whatever blessed reason, Delta had me sitting in an "Exit row" with an infant. Well I got to the gate as they were doing final boarding. I switched seats with a nice man, but it wasn't going to work because I was now on the "wrong" side of the plane (the left side apparently only has 2 oxygen masks, where as the right side has 3.) Anyways, the lady at the gate told me I was going to have to switch with someone once I got on the plane. I start walking down and the same man that switched seats with me offered to take my carseat (because David had NO desire to be in), my diaper bag, and David. I told him no thank you, I can do it. Well after we went back and forth on this, he takes the carseat out of my hand and walks downs the longest walk ever to the plane! He really was helpful, some what weird, but helpful none the less. So we get to the plane and he tells the luggage man to make sure this (the car seat) gets on the plane, that I was going to need it once we got to Idaho. I switched seats (more like I sat down and when the lady came to the seat, I told her what was going on, and she was happy to switch with me.) We finally take off. I think we sat on the runway longer than what we were in the air for. David through out all of this was actually really good. He was a little fussy, but theres something about that runway that puts him to sleep :-) We land in Idaho Falls and after some confusion, we finally get to see Mark! Mark was so excited to see us...especially David! It was so fun to see his face (both Mark and David) when they saw each other!
--Small break, we stayed with probably the sweetest, kindest people in Idaho Falls. The Dustin Family. He and Marks dad were at the Air Force academy. Thank you Dustin family for opening your home to us!--
Ok, so the flight back. This is where things really get good. But first, those of you with kids, did you know it is a federal regulation that car seats can be checked...for FREE?!?! I didn't! I have now paid twice with Delta to ($35 each time!) to check it. It wasn't until Thursday when we were coming back that I found out-the man working the ticket counter asked me how many bags I had, 2, my duffle bag and car seat. He said decided to tell me how the car seat isn't charged! Ok, so David and I are sitting in the Idaho Falls Airport patiently waiting for the plane to come. Were waiting. And waiting. Over the intercom, we hear that our plane will be here around 6:20pm...ten minutes after we should be in the air. Well, it finally comes. Everyone from the first flight comes off, we go on, and we wait some more. I sat next to a man who is an Occupational Therapist at EIRMC. He was really excited to sit next to David because he works with kids that have problems, so it was fun for him to see a baby doing everything they should. We finally land in Salt Lake at 7:42pm...my next flight was suppose to leave at 7:53pm. The flight attendant assured me they would wait. So I run. (Im sure Im quite the site to see do this!) I get to the next gate right after the door closed. This really begins the fun :-( I was then told they would get me on the next flight...in the morning! I'm pretty much in teas at this point. They gave me a very nice suite at Country Inn & Suites. I go to the baggage center because I need to get into my bag to get diapers, wipes and formula!!! About an hour and a half/two hours later, I'm told that my bag made it on the flight. (Ugh. How the heck is that even possible?!) They gave me some meal voulchers, paid for the taxi to take me to buy some formula. The taxi driver was somewhat scary. I kept thinking about law and order and bad things that happen. I was tired. Exhausted actually. Hungry. An emotional mess really. (I personally think they should have paid for that, but whatever, Delta will receive a nice little comment from me. On the other hand, another lady that missed the flight (did I mention there were 14 people that missed that flight because their first flight was late?) Anuways, this other lady was upset because her makeup and hair products were in the bag. Hello, get over yourself, you will live. Anyways, I get the formula and go to the hotel. THe pack and play that they had didn't work-the sides wouldn't stay locked. The lady at the front desk couldn't figure it out (and there were 2 other buses that came in after me that were stayin the night due to issues at the airport). She brought me a rollaway, but I was worried that David would roll off, and the mattress was way too soft so I couldn't put David just on that on the floor. I ended up putting him on the pack and play matt at the end of my bed on the floor. Im glad I did that because David was ALL over the place! I woke up to him kind of crying and he was partially under the bed. Another time, he was half way across the room!

The picture is pretty dark, but you can get the idea.



Anyways, he did pretty good during the night. We go down and eat breakfast and get on the shuttle. I get to the airport. Fly through security and wait some more. But this time waiting it wasn't nearly as bad because 1)the plane was there 2)I knew I was going to get home in 2 1/2 short hours! So we're sitting on the plane and this rude lady looks me in the eye and sits behind me and says "Oh crap, you better keep that baby quiet." Who says that? Seriously? I was shocked. I dont want David crying/screaming anymore than the next person! (My mom says I should have pinched David and let the lady have it! If hadnt cause pain to David, I probably would have.) So the flight went pretty well, David fussed for a minute towards the end, but all in all did really well! (Have you had enough? I hope this all makes sense.) My bags really did make it St. Louis and we're there waiting for me :-)

So needless to say, I am so over traveling for a little bit. And if you are still reading, wow! Way to go! I'm really glad we were able to see Mark. You are going to hear that a lot over the next year. We love you Mark and are proud of you!

No comments: