Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Glaze

On Sunday when my mom was still in town I had her, Amy (& Kennedy), Suzy (& Jayden) over for dinner. I made an Angel Food Cake with a Chocolate Glaze. I didnt have the right type of pan (I need to look into getting a tube pan-who knew there was a specific type of pan for Angel Food Cake?), but it turned really yummy even though it looked like a big chocolate glazed donut. Thank you Katie :-)
Here is the recipe:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12-I wouldn't use the extra large eggs)
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt.

1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375.
2. Mix powdered sugar and flour; set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tblspoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy meringue forms.
3. Sprinkle sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until sugar-flour mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan...again, I didn't have one so I used a bundt cake pan.) Cut gently through batter with metal spatula.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crack feels dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down. Let cool completely. Spread or drizzle top of cake with chocolate glaze.

Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate glaze chips
2 tablespoons margine or butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 to teaspoons hot water

Heat chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup in sauce pan over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate chips are melted; cool slightly. Stir in hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until consistency of thick syrup.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

That was the most delicious chocolate-covered doughnut I have ever eaten.