Sunday, June 6, 2010

Labor/Going Private

With the addition of little David, we are going private! So, leave me a comment with your email address, please :-)
Oh, the labor story. Let me start by saying it was a complete surprise, but a welcome one! I didnt imagine that 16 hours later, little David would be making his grand appearance! I had been in early labor for about a week and a half, two days earlier I had seen my doctor and he said I was dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced. If I hadnt had the baby in two weeks, they would induce me (thats what I thought was going to happen. Never did I imagine what was about to happen!) Anyways, so at about midnight on Thursday morning I woke up having some pretty hard contractions, but thought nothing of them because I had been having contractions the last week and a half. I decided to go take a warm bath. Well, while I was sitting in the tub I felt this liquidy stuff coming out of me, and when I stood up, more came! Now most people would have gone and gotten their husbands up at this point...no, not me. I was going to stick it out until I was 100% sure and ready. I got out of the tub and went and sat on the couch. Shortly, I began to wimper because the contractions were getting harder and harder, one on top of the other. Mark wakes up and I kind of told him what was going on-I mentioned that just some liquid was released and that I was having contractions. He told me if they hadnt stopped in 20 minutes we were going to the hospital. I told him to give me an hour and then I would just go up and get checked and then come home, sleep and go to work (crazy, I know). Well at 3am I couldnt take it anymore and gave in. We drove up to the hospital, they had the room all ready for me. The nurse, Faye, checked me-she said I was about to a 5 and 90% effaced, but she couldnt tell if my water had broken. She had me lay down flat for 5 minutes and then sit back up. Well, she went to check again and pulled the little strip out and said "oh yeah, your water has defintely broken!" They admitted me about 4 am, got me hooked to every machine possible. Nurses came and went, Joelle (the labor angel!) brought Mark breakfast and lunch, and stayed and chatted with me for a while. I was dilated to a 7, and decided then would be a really good time to get an epidural. He came in and worked his magic! At about 3:30pm, the nurse, Janelle, came in and said lets start pushing! When I started to push my contractions went from one right after another, to being 7 minutes apart! They kicked up the pitocin. I only pushed about 4 or 5 times and then David made his grand entrance into this world at 4:05pm, weighing only 6 pounds 14 ounces (had I gone 3 more weeks like I was suppose to, he would have weighed more!) 19 inches long and had a beautiful full head of black hair!

He is absolutely wonderful and I am so grateful for Mark, for his willingness to get up and help me with him, for Joelle-I cant even thank her enough!! And Ashleigh and her mom, for the advice and the nights where she stayed up to help him!
I am so glad he is here and part of our family here on earth.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats! so happy for you, especially that he was little enough for you to get out! absolutely perfect! can't wait to see the little guy! let me know when you are feeling up to visitors! oh, and don't forget to send me an invite!
ofcourseiloveyou2@yahoo.com

JTCaudle said...

Congrats Rachel! He is gorgeous! And I am glad he wasn't 11 pounds! =) My email is akajk13@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS you guys!!!!
allie4eva2203@hotmail.com

Gardner3 said...

Congrats on your new arrival!!
shalongardner@yahoo.com

The Dennett's said...

Rachel, I can't even tell you how happy I am for you and Mark. great labor story! Sounds like you were a champ. I would love to come by sometime and see the little guy. He truly is a beautiful baby thats for sure.
jud07007@byui.edu

Trent and Stacey said...

Congratulations on your little one!!! You both will be a great mommmy & daddy!
sfuzzyball@yahoo.com

Carrie & the Boys said...

Hurray for you! That is so exciting to have little David. Lucky for you you had a pretty easy labor. We so want to meet your new little man. some day perhaps. Keep us on your email list: carririe2006@gmail.com

PKYoung said...

Congrats! He's so handsome!!! I can't believe you were trying to handle that stuff on your own! Right after my water broke I went to wake up Paul b/c I was freaking out thinking something was wrong (no contractions and a week early). Though nothing happened for 24 hrs so they induced me...Glad everything went great for you, tell the new daddy congrats for us!
frogyfreak@hotmail.com

The Parkers said...

so fun!! Congrats again (aloevera721@Yahoo.com)

Clinton and Jessica said...

congrats and glad everyone is doing well!! cjsmithid@yahoo.com

Emily said...

awww... what a sweet story, he is beautiful and i can't wait to meet him!! Congrats!

emcrowley13@gmail.com

Rich and Jess said...

Congratulations! we are so excited for you guys.

reaserj@gmail.com

Logan and Ashleigh said...

WOOO HOOO! Yeah for David!

ashleigh.mckee@gmail.com

Meagan said...

Adorable child. :)
meagan.fennell@gmail.com

Jill said...

congrats!!!
jillmattie@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats Rach!
courtgr2003@yahoo.com

Amy W. said...

Rachel! What a great birth story! Congratulations again. Can't wait to see him!

-Amy

amyd05@gmail.com

Katie said...

You survived! And he's a cutie! See you all soon!

Katie

kathrynann05@gmail.com

The Lowe's Journey Together! said...

Aww you had your little boy!!! He is SO cute!! Would love to still see your information email:
charmin16@gmail.com!!

How does it feel to be new parents :) You getting any sleep?

Fortune Cookies said...

jgcook29@gmail.com You'd better not block us out! Haha.

Peter & Raeah Stephenson said...

raeahs@yahoo.com
Congratulations sorry it is late.

Catherine said...

I am so happy for you both. cjeanqueen@yahoo.com

Tammy said...

gonzalez.tammy@gmail.com. He is very, very cute!!

Jeff & Steph said...

stephaniebaldridge@gmail.com

The Burks est. 2008 said...

Congrats! Makes me excited for mine to actually come :)
billyandalicia08@gmail.com