Friday, November 12, 2010

Trip to see Mark

But first, happy 100th post! Go me! Haha. Anyways, part of me really didn't want to blog about this, but I loved reading other girls blogs of their recaps of their trips to see their husband, so I thought it only fair. It was hard to go and pick up Mark because I knew what was going to happen at the end of those few days we had together. But, now having gone and done it, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Originally we were going to be staying in Mandeville, Louisiana at an Armed Forces Vacation Club. Dana (my mother in law) and I had not great feelings about this. The entire week before I had called daily, random times through out the day, left messages, sent an email and did not hear back/couldn't get through to anyone until 2 days before we leave. Sketchy. When we checked in I asked where the pack n play was. The girl at the desk (was not the brightest crayon in the box) said they didn't have anything like that. I then told her I had gotten an email saying that one would be available. She then told me that they don't send emails! Seriously?! I asked if I could get on the computer and pull it up for her. She said yes...and maybe it was Amanda the manager who had sent it! Yes! This is going to be a watered down version, but the girl basically sent us to lunch, was going to try to get a hold of Amanda and then things should be ready. Her customer service skills were awful, Amanda even said she was sweet, but it wasn't very good. So we get into our condo and think this will have to do. I had to leave and pick up Mark. So I drive the hour and a half to Camp Shelby. (Bethany, you were right about the gate/base!) I felt like the gate check people were rent-a-cops. Anyways, pick up Mark and drive back. Feed DT. Feed us. And off to bed. Thats when things get really interesting. Roaches, mold, dirty stained sheets, etc. Sunday morning we decide this is not good and we leave. But first, DT and Mark get to hang out together. They picked up where they had left off. It was so fun to see DT smile so big at Mark.



We drive just over an hour to Gulfort, Mississippi. Eventually find a Marriott Residence Inn. Much better than where we started. On Sunday we just hung out, nothing exciting. Ok, the whole getting to the hotel took a large portion of the day. I made (and by made, I cheated. Marie Callender did a great job) lasagna. On Monday we went to New Orleans. Emily gave us some ideas of things to do. First on the list was visiting the cathedral. Beautiful. Such detail. (Why do my pictures always flip order?!)






Then we walked the streets of New Orleans. There was this man who was lip singing and dancing.





We then went over to this cute little cafe...Cafe du Monde. It had these amazing little beignets. They were basically a square puffy version of a funnel cake with lots of powder sugar! Yum!





A lot of people recommended doing a swamp tour. So we did. All of us. Even David. I was slightly nervous. But we survived. Had the weather been warmer, we would have seen more alligators...and bigger ones. I think I'm okay with the little (3-4 foot) alligators we saw.








They have the raccoons basically trained. They will throw marshmallows so they will come further out. Their huge!

We walked in the gulf. It was definitely interesting to see the effects of Katrina as well as the oil spill.



We took some family pictures as well. Christmas cards anyone? Haha.








Mark and I went out to dinner two nights. We ate at Applebees and BoneFish Grill. They had the most amazing crab cakes. My mouth is watering as I type this. It was a lot of crab with some breading. Mmm! We had a lot of fun and look forward to R&R! When we flew to New Orleans I had to have a full body pat down because I had baby food and preferred not to open. When we flew back to St. Louis, the TSA man asked why I had water, told him to feed my baby. He asked where the formula was, so I showed him. And then he said have a good day. Thats it? He said, yes, here in New Orleans we don't do all that funky stuff. Haha. (Of course, while we were waiting, I saw a few people getting the pat down.) The people were so nice. Mark got a couple hugs, hand shakes and thank yous. I think thats all...
Edit: At 5 months, David has now been to 7 states:Idaho, Utah, Missouri, Illinois, Colorado, Mississippi and Louisiana! WOW! Next month we are going to Maryland and in January we are going to North Carolina. Go David!

2 comments:

Jeff & Steph said...

Holy cow we did the EXACT SAME TRIP as you! Same places, cafe du monde, even the artwork and guy in silver paint, and the cathedral! Our hotel was right there. I need to catch our blog up, I can't believe you guys were right where we were! Crazy!

Meagan said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! David is getting so big. He's so cute. I'm glad you got to spend that time together as a family before Mark left.